Academy Member Inducted 2022Map & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 25
- Total Mediations (as of May 2022): 50
- Total Arbitrations (as of May 2022): 40
- DETROIT/WARREN/ANN ARBOR
- GRAND RAPIDS
- SAGINAW/MIDLAND/BAY CITY
Laura A. Athens is an attorney, mediator, facilitator and arbitrator who has over 30 years of combined litigation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) experience. Ms. Athens currently devotes her practice exclusively to ADR in a variety of matters, including education, higher education, university faculty grievance, employment, vocational rehabilitation, guardianship and disability rights cases. Ms. Athens serves as an arbitrator in automotive warranty and home warranty cases and previously served as a Hearing Officer in special education and vocational rehabilitation due process hearings.
Ms. Athens is an associate of Professional Resolution Experts of Michigan, LLC (PREMi) and has served on the State Bar of Michigan Alternative Dispute Resolution Council and as a former Chair of the Oakland County Bar Association ADR Committee. She is on the roster of DeMars & Associates, CAP Ford Motor, Porsche, RV and Home Construction Warranty Programs; American Arbitration Association (AAA) Consumer Panel and National Center for Dispute Settlement Automotive Arbitrators.
As an Adjunct Professor at Wayne State University Law School, Ms. Athens taught education law, health law and bioethics. She also taught Legal Research and Writing at Washington University School of Law as a Visiting Assistant Professor.
Ms. Athens has published numerous articles on arbitration, mediation, facilitation, education and employment law in the Michigan Bar Journal, Michigan Legal News, Laches, Oakland County ADR Quarterly and Mediate.com. She frequently lectures and appears on cable TV programs regarding ADR and school-related topics.
Ms. Athens received her law degree from Washington University School of Law, her master’s degree in social work from University of Wisconsin and her bachelor’s degree in psychology, magna cum laude from University of Michigan.
- ADA Disability
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Elder Abuse
- Lemon Law
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Nursing Homes
- Public Policy
- Sexual Harassment
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri Juris Doctor 1987
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Missouri Bar
- Board of Social Work, Master’s Social Worker, Clinical and Macro License
- Professional Resolution Experts of Michigan (PREMi) 2007-present
- State Bar of Michigan, ADR Council 2007-2013
- Oakland County Bar Association: Solo and Small Firm Committee, Chairperson 1998-99
- Oakland County Bar Association: Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Chairperson 2004-05
- Inn of Court 1997-2003
- Association for Conflict Resolution, Michigan Southeast Chapter 2007- 2013
- State Bar of Michigan, Character & Fitness, District I Committee, 2007-2009
- Office of Special Education & Early Intervention Services Magistrate Referent Group 2003
- Divorce Mediation 40 hour training: Mediation Training and Consultant Institute 1995
- Teachers, Lawyers and Children Program 1996-97
- Conflict Resolution in the Schools Project 1997-98
- Dialogue on Mediation Services, sponsored by State Court Administrative Office and ADR Section 2007
- Unlocking the Mysteries of Federal Court June 2007
- Autism Alliance of Michigan Board of Trustees 2012-present
Please call for details.